Saturday, April 17, 2010

Mr. Unoriginal




Yesterday I went to the Arclight in Hollywood to see Exit through the gift shop, the worlds first Street Art disaster movie, a documentary by a street artist named Banksy.

Until last week I had never even heard of this guy, but after my hip honey schooled me up, I was excited to watch his movie and looked forward to seeing him in action on the streets. I am sad to report, I was thoroughly disappointed.

I thought the movie would be about Banksy and his fellow street artists. I though it would be something like a chronicle of his life or the history of his work. Instead it was mostly about some camera man turned rip-off artist who found fame on the backs of real artists, one of which being Banksy.

Without going too much into detail, this guy filmed tons of footage of street artists from all over the world, on the premise that he was making a documentary (which turned out to be a complete lie). He eventually took what he saw the people around him doing and hired a team of helpers to mass produce and, in many cases, copy what he had seen other artists doing. He started calling himself Mr. Brainwash.

The title of this film could not be more perfect.. here is why:

(Exit through the gift shop) Everything Mr. Brainwash displayed and sold as his masterpieces were no more original or valuable then the little trinkets or reproductions you'd find in any museum gift shop. His art, if you can even call it that, in my opinion, is all junk that he shouldn't received any credit for.

(the worlds first Street Art disaster movie) Mr. Brainwashes street art documentary, that he never intended to make, turned out to be a complete disaster and pile of S#@% tiled Life Remote Control.

1 comment: